Sunday, May 29, 2022

The Mysterious Colour of Dusty Rose

A young lady wanted a bridesmaid's dress making up, the main specifications being that, 'It would be modest, yet fashionable with the right length and colour, & that it fits her well.' The right colour was named as "Dusty Rose" and although the lassie is a student, she liked the idea of having a bespoke silk gown, so I scoured my suppliers for suitable silk. Fortunately, as she is quite petite, I knew I would be able to cut the dress from far less fabric than the pattern advised, so reducing the cost.  After much searching, (and realising what a nebulous name for a colour it was,) I asked her if she could be more specific about the hue. She was able to send me a colour sample she had received from the Bride, which turned out to be quite different from the results of my search. Armed with the sample, I was able to find some lovely crepe backed satin silk from Beckford Silk which went by the name of "Crushed Raspberry!"
Whilst I was at the shop, I found a beautiful end of roll piece of matching Jacquard woven silk. This provided a lovely contrast for the bodice and sleeves.  Unfortunately, I didn't have the best lighting to show off the jacquard woven roses. But this is quite a good colour rendition of the mysteriously-hued fabric. 








The final task was to find a lace to make a mantilla to go with the outfit. Again, after much searching a lace was found, hiding under the name of "Dusky Pink" which seemed to provide a good match. 



Whatever the colour is, the bridesmaid looked stunning, and received many compliments on her attire!


2 comments: